Lithium-Ion batteries, technology, storage and life
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries :
1. Cycle life as a function of depth of discharge
A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life
|Depth of discharge||Discharge cycles|
300 – 500
1,200 – 1,500
2,000 – 2,500
3,750 – 4,700
2. Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at various temperatures
Elevated temperature hastens capacity loss. The capacity cannot be restored. Not all Li-ion systems behave the same.
|40 % charge|
|0° C||98 %|
|25° C||96 % |
|40° C||85 %|
|60° C||75 %|
Simple Guidelines for Storing Batteries
- Primary batteries store well. Alkaline and primary lithium batteries can be stored for 10 years with moderate loss capacity.
- Remove battery from the equipment and store in a dry and cool place.
- Avoid freezing. Batteries freeze more easily if in discharged state.
- Lithium-ion must be stored in a charged state, ideally 40 percent. This assures that the battery will not drop below 2.50V/cell with self-discharge and fall asleep.
- Discard Li-ion if the voltage has stayed below 2.00/V/cell for more than a week.